Thursday, September 15, 2011

Trying to stay focused on my journey... I have to believe that it is possible, even in this economy, to get a position that will fulfill my vision to contribute to the greater good and afford me the lifestyle I envision. Kurt Vonnegut, one of my favorite writers, said it best... "I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge, you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center." To me, this means to keep reaching and stretching without losing sight of the vision.

So many people are saying to just take a job because it's better to have something. Many times those are the same people that think work is a 4 letter word and tend to just subsist living day to day. Do I trust the critical eye of someone I respect with my vision? Will their feedback helps me see the bigger picture and understand just how very close to my goal I am, or will they offer criticism and give me the same advice? Have I lost objectivity about the struggle I've been going through, and what is the real truth -- am I almost there? Do I plan a celebration to keep me focused on the finish line and put the intention out there?



So many questions. I've created some of the answers and want to believe I can create all the answers. Yes, I fantasize about a minimalist bohemian lifestyle, if that's what it takes, but I still have my current lifestyle to support and have a hard time just walking away from that. Is it better to rip the Band-Aid off quickly and have immediate pain and potential shock, or do it slowly to minimize the pain and spread it out over time? The latter is what I think our government has done with the economic recovery, but just today it was announced that the foreclosure rates have spiked in some of the countries largest cities and in almost every state. Does this push people to strive for a better, more secure life, or does it put them in survival mode?


I think some people have become numb to it all and are in survival mode. I want to stay on the edge and keep seeing all sorts of beautiful things.

No comments: