Sunday, September 18, 2011

I keep thinking about how I can make a difference by reducing my carbon footprint and general ill effects on the environment. I have some fantasies, but what will make them realities? Infrastructure changes, lifestyle changes and societal changes where I live, or moving somewhere else?

I've been without a car since Monday morning April 25th, the day I had to get to SF from Truckee for an interview. Not knowing an alternate way to get there in time for my interview I rented a car. Since then I have been spending more time in SF using public transportation, or human power to get around and renting a car on occasion to get to Truckee. Alternatively, I have taken the train to Truckee occasionally and used a friends car while there. Though one of my fantasies is to live without a car, I have a house in a mountain town with no easy access to public transportation, no buses that come within 3 miles of my house, and an elevation differential between my house and the bus stop of over 800 feet. I have ridden my bike and cross country skied around town, but only when time and energy allow me to slog back up the mountain to get home. My knee surgery hasn't allowed me to ride my bike much the last few months, and recently I was told not to do any bent leg exercises for at least 4 weeks, so I'm left with walking and public transportation. OK, I did take a taxi last night, but funds don't allow that as a usual form of transportation. All this being said, to live out this fantasy I will have to move to a more convenient location that will allow for not utilizing carbon-emitting vehicles and unfortunately not enjoys the Sierras. Nope, not quite ready for that yet!

I am waiting for the delivery of my new car. It does emit less carbon, has an MPG of 31/25 and the 2011 is ranked #3 in its class on the Next Green Car Website and #2 in its class on the EPA green vehicle guide, the diesel is rated #1, but unfortunately, it's not available in the US. I don't think it's enough and neither does Gernote Wagner http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/08/opinion/going-green-but-getting-nowhere.html?_r=1 What is it going to take for us to change our lifestyle enough to make a difference? This leads me to my other fantasy of a bohemian lifestyle in a place that you can walk, or ride a bike anywhere you need to go, a small studio apt. or cottage that is very green and limited travel. There is a meeting in the middle... I could build a passive energy sustainable house on my lot in kings beach that is built out of mostly reclaimed materials, low, or no maintenance green materials and smaller more efficient space. I have started to design this and since I have very limited coverage on my lot I can't build your typical large Tahoe house.

Oh, and by the way the car is a 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman S All 4

No comments: